Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Brooklyn

Brooklyn Bridge, W.N.W. [west-... Digital ID: G91F173_160F. New York Public Library

It's been a while since I posted any cocktail recipes, but since Frank Bruni just gave two stars to one of my favorite restaurants, I thought I'd honor Franny's by posting a recipe for a Brooklyn. They serve a delicious one at Franny's, so my brother reverse engineered the recipe to make an equally delicious one at home. Like many cocktails, recipes vary. The Official Mixer's Manual recipe (1934) uses rye and dry vermouth. But I can't vouch for that recipe. I can vouch for this.

The Brooklyn
2 oz. bourbon (We use Maker's Mark, or go to LeNell's for something unique.)
3/4 oz. lemon sour (recipe below)
3/4 oz. sweet vermouth (Martini & Rossi)
Shake ingredients w/ ice in a cocktail shaker and strain into tumbler with a few ice cubes. Top with pinch of lemon zest. Or serve up in a cocktail glass. Maraschino cherry optional.

Lemon Sour: Heat sugar and water in a 2:1 ratio until the sugar has dissolved. Take off heat and allow to cool. Mix with equal amount of lemon juice. Pour into jar and chill in fridge. It keeps for a while, and is great in a variety of drinks.

1 comment:

aj kinik said...

Great-looking recipe. Might have to mix up a couple of these tonight to prepare for a trip to Brooklyn we've got planned. Then again, I might have to mix up a couple of these just because it's Monday.