Friday, January 30, 2009

Schrafft's menu, 1959




While the Library has a pretty sizable collection of Schrafft's menus, the one above is my favorite. I love that Schrafft's would use the New York Public Library as a way to advertise the two Schrafft's restaurants located nearest to the Library.

In addition to the menus in our culinary collection, the Art Division has a wonderful book of photographs of the interiors of empty Schrafft's restaurants throughout the City. It's definitely worth a look-see.

3 comments:

Betty Carlson said...

Very interesting. I remember seeing chilled grapefruit in restaurants when I was a kid. The menu is from the year I was born!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the menu! I have a fond memory of visiting Schrafft's once as a kiddie and feeling VERY privileged to get a slice of ice cream roll with hot fudge sauce. It seemed very grown-up!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the menu! I have a fond memory of visiting Schrafft's once as a kiddie and feeling VERY privileged to get a slice of ice cream roll with hot fudge sauce. It seemed very grown-up!