Friday, May 7, 2010

Oh, What a Night...

New York from Metropolitan Tow... Digital ID: 95164. New York Public Library


Looking through the world famous Savoy Cocktail Book can make you thirsty: thirsty for their clever and creative drinks; thirsty for more information about Harry Craddock, the bartender at the Savoy Hotel in London who wrote the lovely book; and thirsty for a modern cocktail book that can make drinks sound as good as this one.

Well, some of my thirst was momentarily quenched last night after I made a Savoy cocktail at home. The drink is called One Exciting Night, but unless you call watching My Nine News with Harry Martin and Brenda Blackmon exciting, than I'm afraid I didn't live up to the name's slightly high expectations. The flavor, on the other hand was completely satisfying. Equal parts sweet and dry vermouth, gin, sugar, and a splash of orange juice work well together and I wouldn't shy away from making it again...but next time I'll attempt to do right by its title.



One Exciting Night
(from the Savoy Cocktail Book)

1 dash orange juice (I added more than a dash. Call it a splash)
1/3 French [dry] vermouth
1/3 Italian [sweet] vermouth
1/3 gin (the Savoy specifies Plymouth for you purists)

Frost edge of glass with castor sugar. Put all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake well and strain into Port Wine glass. Squeeze lemon peel on top.

1 comment:

Knitting Out Loud said...

A Bridgette Bardot cocktail!