Saturday, November 15, 2008

Steamed Fennel


I've been a little preoccupied lately (perhaps you've noticed?), and my diet has suffered as a result: I haven't been eating my vegetables. Mom, don't be alarmed, but if it wasn't for the soup I buy everyday for lunch, I might have a serious vitamin deficiency. Which is why I was so relieved to read David Tanis' steamed fennel recipe in the New York Times a few weeks ago. It's quite possibly the easiest of the tasty recipes I've read in a long time, and very adaptable for a one or two-person household...on a Tuesday night...for a 9:00 PM dinner...after a long day at work. The highest compliment a girl can give.

Steamed Fennel with Red Pepper Oil
(adapted from David Tanis' A Platter of Figs and other Recipes)

1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 to 1 t. red pepper flakes
6 to 8 fennel bulbs
salt and pepper
lemon

In a small pan, heat oil until warm. Turn off heat and stir in red pepper flakes. Let cool and transfer to serving bowl.

Trim fennel bulbs, reserving a few fronds. Cut bulbs crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. (Cut out and discard fibrous core at bottom of bulb.) Put fennel into perforated top of a steamer and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set over boiling water and steam, tightly covered, until fennel is silky but slightly crisp, 8 to 10 minutes.

Arrange on a platter, sprinkle with fronds, and surround with lemon wedges. Pass red pepper oil and salt at table.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I`ve never actually tried fennel, but this recipe sounds absolutely delicious! It`s so quick and easy, that I might have to give it a try soon!

Betty Carlson said...

Sounds wonderful; my husband is a huge fennel fan and I love it too. I'm not sure the recipe would suffice for my ever-starving teenage daughter, though.

Amy A said...

Sounds good! I love fennel.