Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cheap Eats


Illustration by Luba Hanuschak

A few weeks ago, the House and Home section of the New York Times featured some very creative interior design ideas from students who know how to put a room together, even when money is scarce. But it turns out decorating isn't the only thing students can do well - and cheaply.

In the stacks I found the delightful Cheap Eats: The Art Students Coloring Cook Book, a spiral bound monograph published by the Parsons School of Design in 1976. The book is filled with illustrations and recipes from Parsons students, faculty and friends. The simple black and white drawings invite readers to color in as they see fit.

The introduction reads: For students of art it is the atmosphere, the presentation, the visual temptation of the food that sets it apart from being "just cheap eats."

And while some of the recipes sound appetizing -- except for the MSG I found in a few recipes (hey, it's 1976!) -- the illustrations really steal the show.


Illustration by Karen Scheetz



Illustration by James Glenn


The Library also has an earlier Parsons project called Bread, which was chosen as one of the "Fifty Best Books of Year" in 1975 by the American Institute of Graphic Arts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic find! Although I must admit that the second illustration has a rather unsettling quality. Are those flies feeding on the drumstick? The hands, uncolored though they are, look somehow zombie like.

Also, I'm a fan of MSG. In addition to the warmhearted Accent commercials featuring Marla Gibbs, MSG still exists and it's used by cooks around the world under different names such as "hyrdolized soy protein" or "autolyzed yeast."

The Times had an article that opened my eyes to the flavor enhancer. You can read it here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/05/dining/05glute.html?th&emc=th

~~louise~~ said...

What a delight to find your blog. I don't know how I could have missed it all this time. In case you're wondering, I found you in search of Amy Vanderbilt. I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" your link. It is a perfect addition to a post I'll be adding tomorrow on Emily Post. As soon as I'm done, I will be back to explore:)

Andrea said...

I love this blog! I'm also in NYC and am a total cookbook junkie. I'll have to hop down to the library and check some of these little gems out for myself!

Andrea said...

I love this blog! I'm also in NYC and am a total cookbook junkie. I'll have to hop down to the library and check some of these little gems out for myself!

Andrea said...

I love this blog! I'm also in NYC and am a total cookbook junkie. I'll have to hop down to the library and check some of these little gems out for myself!

Ellen Lau Zarrell said...

OH What a delight! I've just read this blog, which is almost a year later - but I GOT this book JUST for the artwork! Thanks for posting this blog. Ellen Lau-Zarrell of CozyPetal.com